Anthem’s dedication to environmental sustainability focuses on assessing and reducing the direct and indirect impacts of everything we do. Since establishing our goals, we have made measurable progress in our focus areas of energy and climate, water and use of materials.
Energy and Climate
Reduce our scope I and II greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity by 30 percent by 2020 (2013 baseline).
- Reduced our scope I and II GHG emissions intensity by 23 percent since baseline year 2013.
- Became an ENERGY STAR® partner, with over 4 million square feet of certified space (over 50 percent of the Anthem real estate portfolio).
- Joined the Science Based Targets Initiative.
View Anthem’s latest response to the requirements of the CDP.
Reduce our office water intensity by 30 percent by 2020 (2013 baseline).
- Achieved a 36 percent reduction in water intensity; we have realized our 2020 goal.
- Developed award-winning drought-tolerant Xeriscape projects in Southern California, saving more than 25 million gallons of water annually.
- Became a Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge Partner.
Achieve a corporate recycling rate of 65 percent by 2020.
- Attained a corporate recycling diversion rate of 59 percent in 2018.
- Diverted more than 500 tons of materials from landfills per year through composting programs.
- Engaged with top print and paper suppliers on a responsible paper policy that is now included in our supplier code of conduct.