Supply Chain Management
Suppliers are critical to the success of our business and the 40 million consumers we serve. Anthem’s Procurement and Vendor Management Group partners with thousands of suppliers, managing more than $4 billion in products and services. Anthem partners with suppliers based on quality, cost and alignment with our core values.
Supplier Code of Conduct
Anthem has established a set of company standards, business practices and regulatory requirements (collectively, the “Supplier Code of Conduct”) by which all Anthem suppliers must abide while they are conducting business with or on behalf of Anthem.Learn more
Sustainability in the Supply Chain
In 2017, Anthem made a commitment to assess the environmental, social and governance performance of our top 200 suppliers, representing over 80 percent of our total spending. The assessment will help ensure that critical suppliers are aligned with Anthem’s sustainability program and are reducing risks while enhancing our brand. We will complete the initial assessment by the second quarter of 2018 and will further engage with suppliers scoring below the average threshold. The engagement process will include a customized corrective action plan that will be reviewed with suppliers on a recurring basis until the scores increase to an acceptable level.
For Anthem, it is important to do business with suppliers who represent the diversity of our consumers and the people we serve. By developing strong community partnerships we continue to expand our supply base and improve the economic health of our communities.
Through our supplier diversity program, we are dedicated to working, whenever possible, with businesses owned by minorities, women, veterans, service-disabled veterans, consumers of the LGBT community and people with disabilities. We strive to involve diverse suppliers in every bidding opportunity and are focused on ensuring that the program continues to grow. Pillars of the program include:
- Commodity champions, who are committed to the inclusion of diverse suppliers in the business units they represent;
- A mentoring program to promote collaboration among diverse suppliers and Anthem’s business leaders;
- Accelerated payment terms for small, diverse suppliers with less than $1 million in annual Anthem invoicing;
- Tracking our yearly progress to determine that Anthem has exceeded our diversity spending goals; and
- Third-party validation and recognition to ensure best practices. Anthem has been recognized by Diversity Inc. as a top company for supplier diversity.