Our Environmental Policy
Through energy, climate, and water conservation programs and materials management, we are focused on the impact we have on the future health and well-being of the world around us.
To reduce risks and increase efficiencies, Anthem has a dedicated Environmental Sustainability Office (ESO) that oversees Anthem’s development, implementation, and reporting for all aspects of corporate environmental sustainability programs. The ESO has developed a comprehensive sustainability strategy focused on energy and climate, water, and materials management.
Energy and Climate Performance
Reduce scope I and II GHG emissions intensity by 30 percent by 2020 (2013 baseline)
- Achieve LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for all new construction projects to ensure energy and water efficiency.
- Benchmark all self-managed offices and data centers using the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.
- Monitor, measure, and disclose GHG emissions via CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) annually.
- Joined the Science Based Targets Initiative
- Reduction of our GHG footprint by 22 percent (over 30,000 metric tons of CO2, which is the equivalent of that emitted by 3,300 homes since baseline year 2013.
- Becoming an ENERGY STAR® partner with over 4 million square feet of certified space (over 50 percent of the Anthem real estate portfolio).
- Installation of electric-vehicle charging stations at our 10 largest offices.
- Participation by over 35 percent of Anthem’s workforce in the Work@Home program, avoiding an estimated 90,000 metric tons of GHG annually.
View Anthem’s latest response to the requirements of the CDP.
Reduce office water intensity by 30 percent by 2020 (2013 baseline).
- Monitor, measure, and disclose water use via CDP annually.
- A 34 percent reduction in water intensity and we have realized our 2020 goal.
- Development of award-winning, drought tolerant Xeriscape projects in Southern California, saving more than 25 million gallons of water annually.
- Becoming a Department of Energy Better Buildings Challenge Partner.
Achieve a corporate recycling rate of 65 percent by 2020.
- Use paper certified by the Forest Stewardship Council in Anthem offices.
- Obtain LEED certification for all new construction projects, maximize recycling, and use environmentally friendly fixtures and finishes.
- Benchmark all self-managed offices and data centers using the Energy Star Portfolio Manager.
- Shred and recycle 100 percent of confidential waste.
- A corporate recycling diversion rate of 55 percent in 2017.
- Diversion of more than 60 tons of material from landfills each year through composting programs.
- A Zero Waste program for one of our largest office locations, targeting 2018 for certification.
- Completion of an enterprise wide paper benchmark identifying specific areas to reduce our 2 billion sheets per year footprint.