A Healthy Environment
As a health benefits company committed to transforming health care with trusted and caring solutions, Anthem recognizes the link between environmental health and the health of the communities we serve.
To further support health and well-being, we extend our commitment to include continuously improving the environmental sustainability of our operations and business activities. Through energy and environment programs, water conservation, waste reduction, healthy buildings, and stakeholder engagement, we are focused on the impact we have on the world around us.
Anthem has a dedicated Environmental Sustainability Office (ESO) that reports up through Corporate Real-estate. The ESO oversees Anthem's development, implementation and reporting for all aspects of corporate environmental sustainability programs. The ESO has developed a comprehensive sustainability strategy and five-year roadmap for:
Energy and Environment »
Reduce scope I and II GHG emissions intensity by 30% by 2020. (2013 baseline)
- An 18% reduction in GHG emissions intensity since 2013.
- Energy Star Partner – Over 5 million square feet of certified office and data center space.
- Over 35% of Anthem’s 55,000 person workforce participates in the Work@Home program, avoiding an estimated 90,000 metric tons of GHG annually.
Water Efficiency »
Waste Reduction »
Continuously divert over 65% of ongoing waste streams from landfills and reduce workplace paper intensity by 30% by 2020. (2013 baseline) KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- A 16% reduction in workplace paper intensity since 2013.
- A commercial composting program that diverts over 50 tons of materials from landfills each year.
- We offer electronic document distribution options for member, provider and employee communications.
Healthy Buildings »
Make Anthem buildings healthier, connecting the built environment to associate well-being.
- We established mini farmers markets at larger Anthem locations as a means of promoting local, more sustainable food options.
- Over 700,000 square feet of LEED certified office space
- The launch of Anthem Hydration Stations as a means of encouraging associates to drink more water.
Stakeholder Engagement »
Continuously assess opportunities to engage with stakeholders.
- We are currently piloting 10 (EV) electric vehicle charging stations with plans to add more in 2017.
- Working with the EPA, we started a MY ENERGY STAR campaign as a means of educating Anthem associates on energy efficiency.
- Dedicated Green Teams that coordinate community volunteer events and host educational seminars for America Recycles and Earth Day.
At Anthem, we are implementing programs to promote environmental sustainability.